Welcome back to The Rundown, a daily breakdown of comic book news stories we missed the day before. Do you have a link to share? Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case you missed it, we’ve revealed a trailer for the upcoming comic book’s original “The New America”; Marvel has revealed that writer Gerry Duggan and artist Juan Frigeri will be relaunching The Invincible Iron Man; and “Koshchei in Hell” #1 Will appear in the November Mignola release.
Elizabeth Biles cover
– Writer Jeremy Holt, artist Felipe Cunha, colorist Dearbhla Kelly and writer Adam Wollet will bring F. Scott Fitzgerald’s the great gatsby Enter TODAY with their newly announced AWA Studios series “Gatsby”. The eight-episode series will follow Lu Zhao, a middle-class student from Singapore, who arrives in the U.S. to spend the summer on Long Island with his cousin Tommy before beginning his entry into Columbia University. Soon after arriving, Lu was quickly drawn into the turbulent lifestyle there, filled with “brand-name drugs, sex, deceit and murder.” While the full scope of the parallel changes to characters and plot points has yet to be revealed, Holt said: “I wanted to make sure I included themes from my own life and experiences and resonated with younger audiences unfamiliar with the story. … [because] The entertainment industry barely paints enough queer and multicultural narratives. “Gatsby” #1 will debut on November 2. Head over to AIPT to see a selection of wordless preview pages.
– In honor of the character’s 50th anniversary, DC will be adding Nubia to the Justice League with a new single-player shot called “Nubia and Justice League Special Edition” #1. Writers Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and Stephanie Williams, along with artists Amancay Nahuelpan and Alitha Martinez, will be the creative team behind the special. In one shot, the recently crowned Amazonian Queen will team up with the Justice League against a yet-to-be-discovered foe. The issue’s exposure draft reads that the one-off will reveal “a bright new future for the character,” although it’s uncertain whether her involvement with the team will be permanent for Nubia or a one-off, celebratory A move in honor of the honorary character. Nubia and Justice League Special #1 will be released on November 29 with four variant covers; you can see three of them at Newsarama.
– By CBR, boom! The studio has announced “Firefly: Keep Flying” #1, shot by writer Jeff Jensen and artist Nicola Izzo to celebrate the show’s 20th anniversary.Jump forward in time from the end of a single pole fireflyand sees River Tam (played by Summer Glau) taking over peacefulMore details teased only in the one-off description, River embarks on “an outrageous adventure…to horizons strangers than anyone imagined” that will challenge her and her new crew’s abilities. Firefly: Keep Flying #1 is scheduled for release in November; the one-shot will feature Frany’s main cover and Miguel Mercado’s variant cover.
– Fairsquare Publishing will feature a number of Indonesian manga artists, including Sami Basri and Garrie Gastonny, in creators Bryan Valenza and Henry Barajas’ upcoming anthology miniseries “Beyondtopia Legends”. The story of the miniseries will draw on various characters from Indonesian culture, with the description detailing the Black Bull, “an immortal robber who fights to retrieve stolen sacred relics”, and a witch agent who will investigate missing children in London Galica. “Seems to be the devil’s favorite playground.” “Beyondtopia Legends” #1 is scheduled for release on November 2nd. Head over to The Beat to watch preview pages for three different stories.
– Dark Horse Books has announced two projects helmed by writer Chad Corrie, including Corrie, artist Matt Wendt, colorist Hi-Fi and alphabet writer Taylor Esposito’s graphic novel Son of Ashgard. Sons of Ashgard is a bizarre series of tales that “weave between stories into a larger narrative,” revolving around a squirrel named Eric Redfall, who is being Seeking solace in Elmgard after exile. Shortly after his arrival, however, Eric was “engaged in a disturbing series of events that quickly escalated into a near kingdom-wide war”. Sons of Ashgard will be released in comic bookstores on April 26, 2023, followed by a bookstore release on May 9, 2023. You can find details on Corey’s upcoming second writing project, Prose Fiction, Shadow Regenthere.
– Marvel Comics introduces a new infinity comic titled “Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal” by writers Frank Tieri and John D. Cerilli and artist Jacob Chabot. The series will take place shortly after the creative team’s 2019 “Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal Comics” single-shot event, and as Ziggy Pig’s popularity begins to decline, he desperately tries to continue his time in the spotlight. The series will feature many of the Marvel Universe’s most famous anthropomorphic characters, including The Pet Avenger, Howard the Duck, and Jeff the Earth Shark, all of whom Ziggy considers his rivals. The first issue of “Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal Infinity Comic” is now available on Marvel Unlimited.
– In response to backlash following removal of various titles from the Keller Independent School District library system, including David Polonsky and Ali Foreman’s “Anne Frank’s Diary: A Graphic Adaptation,” principal says The books were not “banned,” but were “re-evaluated” after parents questioned their inclusion in the library system. “The Graphic Adaptation” has been explicitly removed before ISD establishes a new set of protocols to deal with parents’ challenges to books; this approach has been implemented by the newly elected board for all books that have been the Westfall director in the statement challenged in the past twelve months currently pending reinstatement. Westfall also said more than 50 original books are still in circulation. When it was questioned in February, “The Diary of Anne Frank: A Graphic Adaptation” was not removed after the committee ruled against parents. According to Westfall, the removed books are expected to hit shelves “soon”, but no deadline has been set for a new agreement on book challenges.
– Lucasfilm has announced that two books will be published under the Star Wars Jedi umbrella, namely Star Wars Jedi: Battle Scar by Sam Maggs, and Star Wars Jedi Art: Survivor. battle scars Will follow the game’s protagonist, Cal Kestis, in the intervening period between the events of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and the upcoming Star Wars Jedi: Survivor; further story details have not been revealed. Star Wars Jedi Art: Survivor Will delve into the behind-the-scenes development of the video game of the same name. Del Rey has arranged Star Wars Jedi: Battle Scar Published on March 7, 2023, at the same time Star Wars Jedi Art: Survivor Scheduled to be released by Dark Horse on May 2, 2023. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor doesn’t currently have a release date, although it’s unlikely the art of The book will be released before the competition.
– Finally, Disney announced the group that will be named Disney Legends this year, including 14 people including Chadwick Boseman, Kristen Bell and Jonathan Grove. Each recipient of this honor is “an individual who has made extraordinary contributions to the Disney legacy.” The fourteen selected will join the likes of George Lucas, Whoopi Goldberg and Robin Williams. The award will be officially presented to the individual at a ceremony at D23 from September 9-11. Read the full courses of the fourteen winners here.