‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ closes on Broadway, creators spar with Rudin

“To Kill a Mockingbird,” the stage adaptation of the classic novel, announced in January that it will temporarily close and not reopen on Broadway after Jeff Daniels left the cast and the Omicron variant stormed into New York.

The show’s writer Aaron Sorkin and director Bartlett Schell emailed the cast and crew of the show on Thursday evening to inform them of the decision, blaming the original lead producer for the decision. Scott Rudin has stepped down from an active role on the show after being accused of abusing a collaborator. According to Sorkin and Sher, “At the last minute, Scott returned as a producer, and frankly, for reasons that neither of us could understand, he blocked a rerun of the show.”

Rudin, who continues to control the stage rights to the Harper Lee novel, sent Sorkin and Scheer his own email on Friday, attributing the decision to the state of Broadway’s economy, where overall ticket sales lag behind pre-pandemic levels. Level. Both emails were obtained by The Times.

“The reason I chose not to bring back TKAM has to do with my lack of confidence in the race climate next winter,” Rudin wrote, using the acronym “To Kill a Mockingbird.” “I don’t believe that reinstalling Mockingbird will be competitive in the market,” he added.

The show continues to live a healthy life outside of New York. A show in London’s West End opened in March, and a national tour in the United States opened in Boston in April. These productions are not affected by the closing of Broadway.

The show, which premiered on Broadway in late 2018, was a huge success before the pandemic, regularly selling tickets worth about $2 million a week, quite high for a show, and taking back $750 after 19 weeks of running million dollar investment cost.

Broadway closed in March 2020 due to the pandemic, To Kill a Mockingbird resumed last October, and Daniels reprises his role as Atticus Finch, as he did in the show’s first year like that. The show sold well until early January, but a week of groundbreaking Covid cases forced the show to be canceled; Daniels left the cast on Jan. 2, when Broadway grosses had already plummeted due to the resurgence of the pandemic, and the show’s The total box office also plummeted.

The show stopped at the Schubert Theater on Jan. 16, and Barry Diller, then lead producer, said it would resume at the Velasco Theater on June 1. That didn’t happen, and according to Sher and Sorkin’s emails, the most recent plan is for the show to restart on November 2nd at the Music Box Theatre.

In an email, Sher and Sorkin described themselves as “heartbroken” and said they were “grieved to lose all their jobs – on stage, backstage and front-office”. In an email to them, Rudin said: “The stakes are too great, and the downsides too great. I’m sorry to disappoint you. It was the right decision for the longevity of the show.”

Sher, Sorkin and Rudin all declined to comment, as did a spokesperson for the show. The Showbiz411 website previously reported on the decision not to reopen the show.

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: